Within the limits of available resources, House of Mercy Children’s Home, Lagos, Nigeria (HOM) engages and participates in emergency humanitarian assistance. We mainly contribute to projects for food, shelter, healthcare and education for children and women in emergency situations.
Examples of our emergency assistance work include the following:
- Northeast region of Nigeria
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Central African Republic
- Ebola affected nations (Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea)
- Food Crisis in the Sahel
- Horn of Africa
In an effort to put the spotlight on the especially vulnerable circumstances of refugees and displaced persons across Africa and the need to find durable solutions for them, we published a video entitled World Refugee Day 2019 on June 20, 2019.
In our work, we see children and their families across Africa suffering daily from the consequences of corruption at every level and in all fields, corporate greed, constant looting of African resources, the terror of violence, the complicity of politicians in wars, government ignorance and inaction, indifference and silence on the part of the main social players and the acquiescence, complicity and involvement of the international community for economic interests.
All political attempts to sweep things under the carpet will be to no avail because Africans are becoming increasingly aware of what is really happening in Africa.
Through our programmes in Nigeria and across Africa, we will continue to address the root causes of poverty and injustice, organise solidarity initiatives for poverty alleviation and promote solutions and actions that really correspond to the complexity of Africa’s political and economic problems.
Our vision is of a prosperous and peaceful African continent where every child lives in safety and dignity and is enabled to reach his or her full potential.
- Africa’s Blueprint for Action – Plan d’action pour l’Afrique – Plano de Acção para a África
- Food Security in Africa – Sécurité Alimentaire en Afrique – Segurança Alimentar em África
- Africans United for Peace – Africains Unis pour la Paix – Africanos unidos pela paz
- African Renaissance – Renaissance Africaine – Renascença Africana
- Africa: From Neo-colonialism to True Independence
- Afrique: du néocolonialisme vers une véritable indépendance
- África: do neocolonialismo à verdadeira independência
“Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.” ~ H.I.M Haile Selassie 1