At House of Mercy Children’s Home, Lagos, Nigeria (HOM), we also strive to improve public awareness of children’s issues. Creating a safer world for children is a collective responsibility and it requires ensuring that the rights of children are upheld and speaking out when they are violated.
Please browse through our collection of articles and photo essays about some of the issues facing children in today’s world.
- Mental Health and Wellness Resources for Children, Youth and Adults
- For the Sake of Africa’s Children and the Well-Being of Future Generations, Africa, Wake Up!
Child protection is a Collective Responsibility
Whilst parents or guardians are primarily responsible for the health, safety and well-being of children in their care, all citizens have a collective responsibility to protect children from abuse and neglect and promote their welfare.
Reporting one’s concerns about a child’s safety or well-being is an important step in preventing or stopping the abuse and protecting children from further harm.
Toll Free Rescue Lines for Child Abuse and Domestic Violence Reporting
- Dial *8620# or
- Dial 112 or
- Dial *6820# or
- Text ‘ABUSE’ to 6820
If you have a reason to suspect a child is experiencing harm or is in danger of abuse, neglect, incest, child sexual assault, child battering, child-selling, child labour or child trafficking, please notify:
- Any Child Protection Network Member at the nearest Local Government Area.
- Child Protection Unit, Ministry of Youth and Social Development, State Secretariat, Alausa.
- Gender Unit, State Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja.
- Juvenile Welfare Centres in all police stations.
Please note that House of Mercy Children’s Home Lagos, Nigeria (HOM) does not accept responsibility for the accuracy of any information accessed outside our website or any information which is obtained from any such third party.
Children are the only future of any people. If the children’s lives are squandered, and if the children of a people are not fully developed at whatever cost and sacrifice, the people will have consigned themselves to certain death. ~ Dr. Frances Cress Welsing