Mark the Date!
The following is a list of important dates designated for creating awareness of children’s issues. Please send us an email at email@example.com if you would like to see other dates included in this list.
At House of Mercy Children’s Home, Lagos, Nigeria (HOM), we endeavour to challenge those with responsibility to protect the rights of children to survival, development and wellbeing as established under the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).
We hope that the following dates will mobilise and inspire concerned organisations and individuals to take action to improve the lives of children and that the relevant government departments will ensure that children are placed at the forefront of the development agenda.
Africa’s Blueprint for Action Our vision is of a prosperous and peaceful African continent where every child lives in safety and dignity and is enabled to reach his or her full potential.
- 4 January World Braille Day
- 29 January World Leprosy Eradication Day
- 12 February International Day against the Use of Child Soldiers
- 21 February International Mother Language Day
- 3 March World Hearing Day
- 8 March International Women’s Day
- 21 March International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- 22 March World Water Day
- 2 April World Autism Awareness Day
- 7 April World Health Day
- 12 April International Day for Street Children
- 23 April World Book and Copyright Day (also known as International Day of the Book or World Book Day)
- 25 April World Malaria Day
- 15 May International Day of Families
- 25 May Africa Day
- 27 May Children’s Day Nigeria
- 28 May Menstrual Hygiene Day
- 12 June World Day against Child Labour
- 13 June International Albinism Awareness Day
- 16 June Day of the African Child
- 20 June World Refugee Day
- 26 June International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
- 17 July World Day for International Justice
- 12 August International Youth Day
- 23 August International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
- 8 September International Literacy Day
- 1 October Independence Day Nigeria
- 5 October World Teachers’ Day
- 10 October World Mental Health Day
- 11 October International Day of the Girl Child
- 16 October World Food Day
- 24 October World Polio Day
- 30 October Africa Day for Food and Nutrition Security
- 1 November Africa Youth Day
- 19 November World Toilet Day
- 20 November Universal Children’s Day
- 25 November International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
- 1 December World AIDS Day
- 2 December World Computer Literacy Day
- 3 December International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- 5 December International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development
- 9 December International Anti-Corruption Day
We pay tribute to the dedication, hard work and commitment of the many front-line social workers, professionals and people in Nigeria and around the world who are striving to build a child-friendly world for this and future generations.